Our History

The Marion Rams were first established in 1891 and we are a strong active club today.

 The organisation that evolved into the Marion Football Club was originally formed in 1891, and is one of the oldest football clubs in South Australia. Originally known as the Sturt Football Club, the club changed their name to Marion in the 1950’s. The club is currently affiliated with the Southern Football league (SFL) who is in turn affiliated with the South Australian National Football League (SANFL).  Our junior football is part of the SANFL competition.

The club colours are green and gold, and our emblem is the Ram which was adopted in the 1970’s.

The Marion Football Club has had an eventful history that has produced a total of 8 senior premierships; two in the Mid Southern League (1921, 1926); one in the Glenelg Districts Football Association (1931), three in the Glenelg South West Football Association (1951, 1957, 1958); one in the Glenelg South Adelaide Football Association (1967); and most recently in the Southern Football League (2000).
During the war years Marion joined with the Brighton club to form Sturt Brighton. The combined team were premiers in 1944 and 1945.
(Neil Stallard 2009).

Since joining the Southern Football League in 1987 the Rams have frequently featured among the competition front-runners. During the 1990’s the league side reached five grand finals suffering narrow defeats on each occasion. Finally in 2000 they made amends defeating Noarlunga by 7 points. The reserves also went top, defeating Brighton by 1 point.

The club currently has teams in the SFL and the SANFL Sunday competition.

OUR PROUD HISTORY

1921 – PREMIERS
1926 – PREMIERS
1931 – PREMIERS
1951 – PREMIERS
1957 – PREMIERS
1958 – PREMIERS
1967 – PREMIERS
2000 – PREMIERS

TO BE UPDATED BY CLUB HISTORIAN